Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Quick....who said this?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Greg Crawford's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2002
    Posts
    603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Q. So, you have no love for film?

    A. There's nothing to love about film. It's a terrible medium. It's just that we're used to it. [img]mad.gif[/img]

    p.s. If you love this quiote you'll love what he said about super 8!

  2. #2
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I can understand why some will view film as a terrible medium. It's like having to go to the outhouse rather than just flush a toilet.

    However, Film is also like a shared resource that bonds a community and reminds us all that interdependence can be a good thing. Which is what films end up doing. So now filmmakers condemn a process that they hope to capture in their own films. [img]frown.gif[/img]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Mike Buckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I would guess either Robert Rodriguez as my first choice or George Lucas. And what did they say about super 8? Unfortunately, not all of us are rich enough to afford to film in 35mm, or use the Sony 100,000 dollars progressive digital scan video cameras...so they shouldn't be "dissing" super 8!

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Levi's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 25th, 2001
    Posts
    183
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    In the intro of Rebel Without a Cause, Robert Rodriguez wrote, "I tried to shoot a regular movie with my friends using the super 8 camera but it was completely discouraging. We'd shoot a $5 roll of super 8 film that lasted 2 1/2 minutes, wait several days for it to get developed, spend another $7 on developing, and then when I'd view it, I was always disapointed. The footage was too rough looking, the auto exposure was usually off. the footage looked primitive, and it upset me. Waste of money...Then the miracle arrived...My father bought one of the latest gadgets out on the electronic market, it was a four-head JVC video cassette recorder."


    Corey

  5. #5
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Before Rodriguez was proving his inadequacy at figuring out basic concepts, like using a Super-8 camera, I was making Super-8 films that actually got disqualified from one festival because they thought I had used computer generated imagery instead of a super-8 camera, and from another contest one of the judges wrote "Looks to good to be done by students", I got practically a perfect score from the three judges, yet I only got an honorable mention. It was as if they were saying, "we're not sure you did this in super-8, so you'll get an honorable mention."

    And that's why RR is where he is now, and I'm where I am now. [img]tongue.gif[/img]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Greg Crawford's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2002
    Posts
    603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by MikeyB:
    I would guess either Robert Rodriguez as my first choice 8!
    <font size="2.0" face="verdana, sans-serif">Bingo!

    Check out this months Movie Maker Magazine.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Mike Buckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Too bad Mr. Rodriguez thinks that film is a terrible medium...because his "films" would look a lot better in film than video! I saw a preview on tv for his new Spy Kids 3-d....you know how when movies have a product tie-in, and the commercial is shot for the product with the stars from the movie, but it doesn't quite look as nice or as professional as the movie itself...well, I thought i was watching a commercial for a toy or Burger King or something that was tied in with the movie...what I was actually seeing were scenes from the movie itself!! Some of the video movies shot for theatrical release don't look half bad, and some don't look like video...but this really did...I suspected that quality would slip once it became more common to use video for a theatrical film, and it is happening. It has that live, crt, done with a video camera look. Before Mr. Rodriguez goes around talking trash about film, he should really attempt to learn the craft. And it's obvious he's running out of ideas...Spy Kids 3d...he's about milked that genre to death...the only good thing about his new movie are the kids in it, and Ricardo Montalban. So since Robert Rodriguez hates film so much, does he consider himself to be a filmmaker, or a videographer?

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Greg Crawford's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2002
    Posts
    603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Go Mikey, go mikey.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Mike Buckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 7th, 2002
    Posts
    614
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    heh heh heh...ok..i'll get off of my little soapbox now...

  10. #10
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Super-8 seems to get kicked around by all kinds. Those who use it successfully immediately talk of shooting in 16mm or 35mm, those who have less success completely blame the format rather than themselves, aka RR. [img]graemlins/bat.gif[/img]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •